The following IELTS Vocabulary - words and phrases will help you describe Writing Task 1 in IELTS exam:
|Nouns||a rise |
a period of stability
|Verbs||to rise |
|Phrases||to show an upward trend |
to show a downward trend
to hit the highest point
to hit the lowest point
to reach a peak
to show some fluctuation
to fluctuate wildly
to remain stable
to remain static
to remain unchanged
to stay constant
to reach a plateau
to level off
to flatten out
the second highest
the third highest
Sample Sentences Using Above Vocabulary
- There was a substantial increase in the value of stocks on March 15th.
- House prices rose dramatically in July.
- The number of tourists visiting New York fell sharply in October.
- The percentage of students walking to school continued to rise gradually over the ten year period from 2000-2010.
- There was a sharp increase in employee turnover after the strike.
- Interest in environmental issues has risen steadily over the last 10 years.
More Useful Words And Phrases
- Percent –the word percent comes after a number. Examples:More than 25% of the students are from Brazil.
More than 25 percent of the students come from Brazil.
- Percentage - The word percentage comes after words like the,a,this and that. Often,it is preceded by an adjective. Examples:A small percentage of residents have lived in the building for more than 20 years.
The percentage of students who live on campus has fallen sharply since the fire.
- For numbers up to ten,write the numbers in words. For numbers over 10,you can write the numbers in numbers. Examples:Five percent of the employees were late this month.
More than 50 percent of the students handed in their assignments late after the long weekend.
- If the sentence starts with a number,always write it in words. Examples:Wrong:25 students were from China. Right:Twenty-five students were from China.
GrammarTake note of the following prepositions which you will need to describe dates, numbers and comparisons:
Numbers:Increase of 25% ,
Decreased by 10% ,
Fell from 200 in July to 150 in August.
Don't Miss A Single Updates
✓Remember to check your email account to confirm your subscription.