Border Regulations and Visa Applications

If you wish to come to the United Kingdom, either as a visitor or a student, you may need to apply for a visa. Visas vary according to your age, the length of your stay and your level of English study.

The following visa types are available:
  • A. Child Student
  • B. Child Visitor
  • C. Adult Student
  • D. Student Visitor
  • E. Prospective Student
The UK operates a points-based system which will decide whether or not you can apply for a visa. You need 40 points in order to apply for a visa. You will obtain 30 points if you have confirmation from the college, university or school that you have been accepted on a course. Your chosen place of studies must be registered on the UK Border Agency list of sponsors. You can obtain a list by clicking on the link below.
You will need to earn a further 10 by demonstrating that you cover the cost of your study fees and living costs. In doing so, you can rest assured that you will avoid financial difficulties while you are studying.
If you wish to extend your study experience in the UK, you will need to pass a further points-based assessment to ensure that you have been accepted on another course and that you can afford to pay the fees and living costs.
To make your UK study experience even richer, you may be eligible for a work and study visa. Getting a job while you are studying can improve your language skills and enhance your CV by showing that you are flexible, team-oriented and well-organized. You will also be able to get a reference from your employer which will help you gain employment in the future. Before accepting a job, you must find out whether your visa allows you to work in the UK, and the maximum number of hours you can work each week from the UK Border Agency. Most UK places of study have a career service which will help you to access job listings, write a CV or application form and prepare for a job interview.
To work in the UK you will need a National Insurance number. This number is used to deduct money from your earnings to fund benefits for the unemployed, incapacitated and retired. To obtain a national insurance number, you will need to attend an interview. You can make an appointment for an interview by calling 0845 600 0643 during usual office hours. You will need to take proof of identity, proof of your right to work in the UK and written proof of your job offer. You may start work before your number is issued as long as your employer deducts the appropriate national insurance contributions from your pay.
Question 1- 5
Each of the short paragraphs below gives information about the five types of visa A-E.
Read each paragraph and choose which of the five links would contain this information.
There is one paragraph that you do not need.

paragraph i. If you have already completed a course of study in the UK and do not intend to study further, you can apply for this visa to extend your stay. This visa allows you to work in the UK for a further 6 months.

paragraph ii. If you are under the age of 17 and wish to study for less than six months, you can apply for this visa. If you wish to extend your course of study, you may not swap to a student visa while you are in the UK. You must return to your home country and do so there.

paragraph iii. Students in post-16 education can apply for this visa. This visa is suitable for students attending courses for over six months. Holders of this visa may be eligible to work in the UK.

paragraph iv. Students over the age of 18 who wish to study for up to six months can apply for this visa. This visa does not allow students to work in the UK. Students may only extend their visa or switch to a student visa by returning to their home country.

paragraph v. You can apply for this visa if you are between the ages of 4 and 15 and intend to attend a full-time, fee-paying independent school for a period of over six months or more. 16 and 17 year old may attend part-time, fee-paying establishments.

paragraph vi. If you want to come to the UK before choosing your course of study, you can apply for this visa. You will need to start your course within 6 months of arrival. You may switch to an adult or child student visa while in the UK without returning to your home country.
1. A - Child Student  
2. B - Child Visitor 
3. C - Adult Student 
4. D - Student Visitor 
5. D - Prospective Student  
Question 6- 11
Choose the correct answer a, b,  or c and write them on your answer sheet 6-11
6. You can obtain 30 points towards your visa if…
a) You have already paid your school or college fees.
b) You have been accepted onto a course of study..
c) You have proof that you can cover your study fees...
7. If you want to extend your study visa…
a) You only need to obtain 30 points
b) You do not need to repeat the point-assessment
c) You will need to do the process again
8. You can work in the UK if…
a) You are legally eligible 
b) You are studying full time..
c) You have 40 points
9. For advice on finding a job, the writer suggests that you contact… 
a) The UK Border Agency
b) A Career Service
c) The National Insurance Agency
10. Your national insurance number will ensure that…
a) You receive all the money you earn
b) You receive money if you lose your job
c) Some money is taken from your earning
11. You can start work…
a) After applying for a National Insurance Number
b) Once you have received your National Insurance Number
c) If your employer pays your contribution instead of you

Don't Miss A Single Updates

Remember to check your email account to confirm your subscription.

Post a comment ➜

No Comment