Get your quiet students talking with a few of these beauties!
Consonant BlendsTwo consonants that form a blended sound can be hard for new English speakers. Build up their confidence with these:
- She sells seashells by the seashore
- I saw a kitten eating chicken in the kitchen
- I thought I thought of thinking of thanking you
- Slim slam slap
- A big black bug snoozed on a big black rug
- He threw three free throws
- Thin sticks, thick bricks
- Fred fed Ted bread and Ted fed Fred bread
L vs. RSome of your students may have difficulty saying L and R. Asian language speakers often confuse the two letter sounds, so these tongue twisters are perfect practice.
- Red lorry, yellow lorry
- Truly rural
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream
- Rolling red wagons
- Red blood, bad blood
B vs. VSpanish speakers frequently pronounce these two letters the same way, making it very hard to hear the difference. These rhymes will get your students speaking clearer.
- Blue blurry vines blind
- Betty loves the velvet vest best
- Barber baby bubbles and a bumblebee
- Burnt base, vicious vase
- Vivacious Val vacuumed Violet’s very vivid vehicle
VowelsThe correct pronunciation of vowels is essential if your students are going to be fluent in their new language. These tongue twisters will give them plenty of practice with enunciating their vowels.
- Eddie edited Earl’s easy music
- Gooey gopher guts
- Excited executioner exercising his excising powers excessively
- Annie ate eight Arctic apples
- An orange oval spooks the odd operative
- An awful aardvark and an aching ape ate an antelope
Bonus TwistsThese ones can be a good way to fill a little extra time between classes or simply to break the tension in a classroom. Better yet, ask your students to share tongue twisters in their native language, too. Nothing is more entertaining than seeing the teacher attempt a funny twist in another language!
- Printed papers under pressure make pens prickle
- The poor boar pours batter over his putter
- Six sticky skeletons
- Thunder sunders thick sticks
Main IELTS PagesImprove your IELTS skills with our IELTS sample practice Tests, lessons and free preparation tips.
Don't Miss A Single Updates
✓Remember to check your email account to confirm your subscription.